Monday, January 29, 2007

slickrock



Last fall Derek & I camped with my father near the Joyce Kilmer/ Slickrock WIlderness Area in Nantahala National Forest. It was a pilgrimage of sorts for Derek and me...we had heard of the fabled old-growth forest for years and had always wanted to see the massive trees for ourselves. We were amazed to stand beneath the giants, some of which would take three or four people to wrap arms around. This spot was on a small footbridge at the beginning of the trail. Even though there were no old-growth trees visible from this point, I thought it was a very magical place, and it held the promise of things to come.

2 comments:

Michelle Grayum said...

I LOVE this painting. LOVE IT! I don't know what it is, but from the first second I saw it, it looked magical and just felt like I was there inside the painting. Everything about that felt amazing.

Michelle Grayum said...

I LOVE this painting. LOVE IT!! From the first second I saw it, it just felt magical... and I felt like I was there, inside the painting. It was the kind of moment where you feel like you can hear the surrounding sounds and smells... and feel the light coming through the leaves. Very cool.