Sunday, May 20, 2007

ryman



Last night I had the good fortune to see two of my favorite musicians perform at the Mother Church; Gillian Welch and Bright Eyes. Both of these performers have blessed my creative time for years, as I have played their CDs on a constant loop for many hours of painting. Gillian has always left me simultaneously inspired and frustrated-- why attempt any sort of music making or songwriting when someone has already said it best and in a style I could never hope to surpass? Bright Eyes' live performance was a complete surprise...one of the most incredible and engaging performances I've seen, full and round and filling every cell of every body in the room. It was like a child's simple vision of heaven, all the musicians dressed in white among plastic colored flowers. He even had a live media artist creating spontaneous images on a huge screen using things like ouija boards, smoke, and etch-a-sketch. A man after my own heart! And so young...and so wise and brilliant. I felt a moment of complete connection when he sang the words, "I took off my shoes and walked into the woods/ I felt lost and found with every step I took."

No comments: