Monday, April 30, 2007

evening primrose



A few summers ago I thought it would be great to plant a variety of medicinal herbs and plants in the diverse little ecosystem that is our yard. I was not as good at growing them as I thought I would be, discovering that many medicinals need a delicate balance of forest soils or just the right amount of sunlight to thrive. They survive in the wild in exactly the place that is best suited for them, but they are sometimes difficult to cultivate for that reason-- we do not always know the exact spot to plant them. One of the few plants that thrived in my urban jungle was Evening Primrose. I found out later that it succeeds in poor conditions, even growing between cracks in concrete. These plants that most would consider weeds have reseeded themselves every year, and this is one of last year's dried seedpods, making way for the new green growth of spring.

No comments: