Wednesday, March 21, 2007

pencil cactus



Today was the first official day of spring, and it completely lived up to its reputation. All this sunshine put me in the mood for plant shopping, even though technically our last frost here is not until April 15th. After a few good frost-prevention tips from my garden guru at Gardens of Babylon in the Farmers' Market, I carefully selected my first flat of the season: an odd collection of snapdragons, sweet basil, hens-and-chicks, sedum, and two very cool cacti. One of my prized finds is a thornless prickly pear rumored to reach five feet in three years (assuming my black thumb doesn't kill it first), and the other is the subject of today's painting: a pencil cactus, reaching out with spindly "arms" for the light that promises only to grow brighter and hotter as spring comes to stay.

No comments: