Monday, February 05, 2007

veiled woman




I photographed this woman leaning against a wall using a technique I learned from my friend Nicole, who accompanied me on my last trip to Egypt. By holding the camera at your waist and looking around like a tourist, you can get sly shots of people who are (hopefully) unaware of what you are doing. I have found myself very preoccupied with the condition of women's lives here. Besides being self-conscious about being one of the few women who have their hair exposed, I am acutely aware that in being born American, I have had so many opportunities that women here never get. Very deep beliefs stand in the way for women to advance here at all. I don't think I truly appreciated my lot in life until I had to ride in the Women's Car on the subway or realized that I would not be welcomed in certain cafes because of my gender.

No comments: