Sunday, January 14, 2007

spoon creek



My kindergarten teacher Mrs. Doughty owned this dairy farm on Spoon Creek, and we visited there on a field trip to watch the cows being milked. The school bus passed the farm every morning, and whenever I visit home, I find myself driving past it to see the huge white farmhouse in the distance. I have always loved the way the land rests in the valley and thought of it as my ideal farm. With the cows grazing in the old pastures and the creek cutting deep through the land, it has always made a strong impression on me. On the particular day that I photographed this image, it was incredibly quiet there. The farm almost seemed abandoned and the old house where the farm workers lived had burned down. I stopped to listen to the absolute silence and snapped some pictures.

No comments: