Thursday, January 04, 2007

lost farm study



Today I began work on what will be my largest landscape painting to date. I was selected last spring to exhibit in the Arts at the Airport program here in Nashville, a public art program which allows 16 artists per year to exhibit in designated spaces at the Nashville International Airport. My exhibit will hang in June of 2007, but I began working on the project last summer.

I photographed a 248-acre farm that was for sale in a rapidly developing area near Nashville. This area, like many other metropolitan areas, is experiencing the loss of farmland in suburban areas as more housing and retail developments "sprawl" across the landscape. My work has always dealt with the landscape as an untouched subject, with little evidence of human intereference. For this project, I decided to represent on a large scale a piece of local land that will soon (inevitably, it seems!) be lost to the bulldozers. The final piece will measure 5'x 15', but this piece is a small study of a detail of the image.

Perhaps it was a sign that on the day I photographed the farm, both a red-tailed hawk and a deer came to "visit" me while I was shooting.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I really enjoy reading about background that has contributed to your paintings. I love the two paintings I own of yours and hope some day to own more. Keep up the good work. Jane F.